The town of Captain Cook has a handful of good restaurants, the historic Manago hotel, and a popular farmer's market with both local produce and local art.
Captain Cook runs along Mamalahoa (Hwy 11, Belt Road) from just South of the turn-off to Kealakekua Bay - Napoopoo Rd. (Hwy 160) - to somewhere before the turn-off to Middle Keei Road where Honaunau begins.
Up until the 1960s, much of this area was part of the large Kealakekua Ranch, founded in the 1850s by English immigrant Henry Nicholas Greenwell. Today it is mostly residential, farms, and pasture.
Started in 1917, the Manago Hotel is a local landmark. The hotel also features an ono restaurant with staples such as Ono, pork chops, and hamburger steak.
Click for more on Manago Hotel or Restaurant.
Across from Manago Hotel is Greenwell Park and the Kona Regional Senior Center. The Center consists of several buildings where community meetings and activities are held. Greenwell Park has a playground, a little league baseball field, and tennis / basketball courts.
The town has a police and fire station. There are also some government offices here, though many have been moved to the new West Hawaii Civic Center in Kailua.