An historic parish in the West Hawaii Vicariate of the Catholic Diocese of Honolulu. The parish campus includes an architecturally remarkable historic church, a rectory, a church cemetery, and a parish hall.About 1841, a series of priests, beginning with Father Arsenius Walsh, SS.CC., began ministering to Kohala natives. He was successively followed by Fathers Dennis Maudet, SS.CC., Stanislaus Lebret, SS.CC., and Eustache Maheu, SS.CC. Father Maheu built the Wai puka Catholic Church and dedicated it to Saint Louis. Father Maheu died on August 25, 1860.
View Sacred Heart Church in a larger map